BOG Finance and Administration Rule 5.2 - Capital Improvement Management
SPURPOSE & SCOPE.
- This Rule establishes the guideline for Capital Improvement Management at West Virginia University, including Potomac State College of West Virginia University and the West Virginia University Institute of Technology.
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS APPROVAL BY THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS.
- Pursuant to Board of Governors Finance & Administration Rule 5.1, Capital Improvements requiring authorization must be submitted to the Board of Governors for review.
- Capital Improvements submitted for approval by the Board of Governors shall be consistent with the objectives and priorities of the Facilities Plan.
- Budgets for Capital Improvements submitted for approval by the Board of Governors shall include reasonable contingency reserves for both bidding or unknown or unexpected expenses.
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT MANAGEMENT.
- The University shall use industry standard contract documents for architectural, engineering, construction, construction management, design-build, and integrated project delivery services as appropriate for the particular project.
- The University shall comply with all applicable state and federal rules and regulations regarding historic preservation.
- The University shall develop and follow a method for project closeout and final acceptance.
SEMPLOYMENT OF PERSONNEL TO MANAGE CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS.
- Facilities and Services shall at all times employ at least one individual certified in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).
- Facilities and Services shall at all times employ at least one individual certified by the Project Management Institute as a Project Management Professional (PMP) or credentialed as a Certified Facilities Manager (CFM) by the International Facility Management Association.
- Facilities and Services shall employ staff experienced in capital improvement development and management.
- The size and skill sets of such staff shall be appropriate for the number, size, and complexity of the capital improvements being managed.
- “Capital Improvement” means the construction or improvement of buildings or grounds including but not limited to new construction, additions, renovations, site development, and utility infrastructure.
- “Facilities Plan” is defined in Board of Governors Rule 5.4 Facilities Plan.
- The Board of Governors delegates to the President the authority to adopt additional internal policies and procedures to effectuate the implementation of this Board of Governors Rule or in furtherance of any other authority that the Board of Governors has specifically delegated to the President pursuant to this Rule. Any actions taken pursuant to this delegation must be consistent with the guidelines provided by this Rule.
- W. Va. Code §18B-1B-4(a) (12), §18B-19-6, and 18B-19-7(d).
- This Rule supersedes Higher Education Policy Commission (“HEPC”) Series #12 (W. Va. Code R. §§133 -12-1 to 18.2 which was adopted June 4, 2018 and any other Rule of HEPC which relates to the subject matter contained within this Rule. This Rule also repeals and supersedes and replaces any internal University policy or procedure which relates to the subject matter contained within this Rule.
Effective Date: October 15, 2018
- Final - PDF